Location: Bay of Bengal; all coastal area around Bangladesh.
Event: Cyclone Mocha is forming in the Bay of Bengal and is expected to make landfall in Southeastern Bangladesh between May 13-16.
At this time, it is too early to know precisely its eventual strength or where it will make landfall in Bangladesh. Avoid travel to Southeastern Bangladesh for the next 6 days; be prepared for heavy rains at a minimum. Follow the local media for further updates.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to coastal areas.
- Monitor local media and the Bangladesh Meteorological Department and local media for weather updates.
- Be prepared to shelter in place if conditions worsen.
- Keep your mobile phones and other communication devices fully charged.
- Follow directions of local authorities.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Visit the Joint Typhoon Warning Center and Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) for updated storm tracking information.
- Review FEMA’s guidelines for hurricane preparedness.
- S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh
(88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
(888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter