Location: Bay of Bengal; Khulna; Jessore; Barisal
Event: Cyclone Amphan is predicted to make landfall on Wednesday, May 20, in the western part of Khulna. Satkira District in Khulna remains the primary point of impact for Bangladesh. There may be serious wind gusts. The projected trajectory of the cyclone may result in residual effects primarily in the divisions of Jessore and Barisal. Dhaka may experience moderate wind and rain. Continue to follow the local media for updates and the Bangladesh Meteorological Department website for the latest Signal announcements.
For emergencies on Wednesday, May 20, and during the holiday period Thursday, May 21 to Tuesday, May 26, U.S. citizens should call (88) (02) 5566-2000; after dialing press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to coastal areas.
- Monitor the Bangladesh Meteorological Department and local media for weather updates.
- Visit the Joint Typhoon Warning Center and Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) for updated storm tracking information.
- Review FEMA’s guidelines for hurricane preparedness.
- Be prepared to shelter in place with an adequate supply of food and water if conditions worsen.
- Keep your mobile phones and other communication devices fully charged. Tune in to your local radio/TV for local information and warnings.
- Follow directions of local authorities.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Should conditions become more severe, stay in contact with neighbors in your sector. Notify friends and family of your status.
- Check your property for any loose material and tie down garbage cans and other loose items.
- Fill your vehicle’s fuel tanks.
- Ensure friends and family stay away from windows and exposed areas.
- Reduce electricity consumption in your residence by turning off unnecessary air conditioners and unplugging unused electronics to extend generator lifespan.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Register for Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Register for SMS text message alerts here.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.