Weather Alert – U. S. Embassy (Dhaka, Bangladesh) (Nov 7, 2019)
Location: Bay of Bengal; all coastal area around Bangladesh.
Event: Cyclone Bulbul formed in the Bay of Bengal. The Government of Bangladesh has issued an early warning Level 2 (danger) alert in the coastal area, indicating a cyclone has formed and may be approaching.
At this time, it is too early to know precisely its eventual strength or where it will make landfall. If traveling to Khulna, Chittagong or Cox’s Bazar in the next 7 days, be prepared for heavy rains at a minimum. Follow the local media for further updates.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to coastal areas.
- Monitor the Bangladesh Meteorological Department and local media for weather updates.
- Visit the Joint Typhoon Warning Center and Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) for updated storm tracking information.
- Review FEMA’s guidelines for hurricane preparedness.
- Be prepared to shelter in place if conditions worsen.
- Keep your mobile phones and other communication devices fully charged. Tune in to your local radio/TV for local information and warnings.
- Follow directions of local authorities.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Should conditions become more severe, stay in contact with neighbors in your sector. Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Check your property for any loose material and tie down garbage cans and other loose material.
- Fill vehicles’ fuel tanks.
- Ensure friends and family stay away from windows and exposed areas.
- Reduce electricity consumption in your residence by turning off unnecessary air conditioners and unplugging unused electronics to extend generator lifespan.