Weather Alert – U. S. Embassy (Dhaka, Bangladesh) (May 2, 2019)
Location: Bay of Bengal; possible landfall near Bangladesh coastline.
Event: A severe cyclone continues to strengthen over the Bay of Bengal and is projected to make landfall on India’s eastern coastline as early as May 3, 2019. The cyclone is expected to impact Bangladesh’s coastline as well. Southwest Bangladesh could experience heavy rains, storm surges, and strong winds with possible flooding, landslides, power outages and difficult travel conditions. Increased rainfall and winds are expected throughout the country.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to coastal areas.
- Monitor the Bangladesh Meteorological Department and local media for weather updates.
- Visit the Joint Typhoon Warning Center and Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) for updated storm tracking information.
- Review FEMA’s guidelines for hurricane preparedness.
- Be prepared to shelter in place until conditions improve.
- Follow directions of local authorities.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.