Location: Bay of Bengal; all coastal area around Bangladesh.
Event: Cyclone Bulbul continues to move northward in the Bay of Bengal. The current path shows landfall in Khulna or Barisal; the path of the cyclone is just a projection and the storm could change course. If and when the storm begins moving through the Dhaka—Chittagong corridor, expect intense rain in both cities and the surrounding areas, and moderate to high winds, flooding and loss of power as the storm moves over land. The Bangladesh Meteorological Department has labeled Bulbul a Signal 7 at some ports and lower Signal ratings in other areas. Higher Signal ratings could occur. Continue to follow the local media for updates and the Bangladesh Meteorological Department website for the latest Signal announcements.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel to coastal areas.
- Monitor the Bangladesh Meteorological Department and local media for weather updates.
- Visit the Joint Typhoon Warning Center and Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) for updated storm tracking information.
- Review FEMA’s guidelines for hurricane preparedness.
- Be prepared to shelter in place if conditions worsen.
- Keep your mobile phones and other communication devices fully charged. Tune in to your local radio/TV for local information and warnings.
- Follow directions of local authorities.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Should conditions become more severe, stay in contact with neighbors in your sector. Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Check your property for any loose material and tie down garbage cans and other loose material.
- Fill your vehicle’s fuel tanks.
- Ensure friends and family stay away from windows and exposed areas.
- Reduce electricity consumption in your residence by turning off unnecessary air conditioners and unplugging unused electronics to extend generator lifespan.