Green Card Surrender

As of July 1, 2019, USCIS will no longer accept a Form I-407 (PDF 345 KB), Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status (LPR) at international field offices by mail or in person. Individuals who wish to voluntarily record abandonment of their LPR status must submit form I-407 (PDF 345 KB) via mail to:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
124 Leroy Road
PO Box 567
Williston, VT 05495

If you are an LPR living in Bangladesh and wish to abandon your LPR status, you must mail a signed copy of Form I-407 along with your I-551 “U.S. Permanent Resident Card” (commonly called a “Green Card”) to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Eastern Forms Center at the address mentioned above.

Think carefully before abandoning your LPR status – regaining it at some point in the future is not automatic, and you would need to complete the U.S. immigration process from the beginning and re-establish your eligibility for an immigrant visa.

Generally, individuals who hold a Form I-551 “U.S. Permanent Resident Card” (commonly called a “Green Card”) may be unable to demonstrate they meet the eligibility criteria for U.S. nonimmigrant visas. If you are an LPR and wish to travel to the United States on a nonimmigrant visa, you may abandon your LPR status by mailing Form I-407 and your “U.S. Permanent Resident Card” (commonly called a “Green Card”) to the USCIS Eastern Forms Center before applying for a U.S. nonimmigrant visa. You may bring a copy of your signed Form I-407 and evidence of having mailed it to the USCIS Eastern Forms Center (e.g., DHL receipts) to your nonimmigrant visa interview so this additional information can be considered along with your nonimmigrant visa application. Relinquishing your LPR status in no way guarantees you will qualify for and be issued a nonimmigrant visa.