An official website of the United States government

U.S. Visa Services
Visit the United States

What is a Visa?

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport.

Certain international travelers may be eligible for the Interview Waiver Program.  Please see below for additional information.   

The Visa section of this website is about U.S. visas for foreign citizens and nationals to travel to the United States.

Visit Travel.State.gov for additional information.

Note: U.S. citizens do not need a U.S. visa for travel to the United States. When planning travel abroad a U.S. citizen may need a visa issued by the embassy or consulate of the country they wish to visit.

What Type of Visa Do You Need?

To apply for short-term visits to the United States (for tourism, business, education, and more), you can go directly to the online application (form DS-160). For immigrant visas,  which are issued to foreign nationals who intend to live and work permanently in the United States, you can visit the U.S. citizenship and Immigration Services site for the relevant forms.  If you are unsure what type of visa you need, please use the Visa Wizard below.

Contact Us

To contact a customer service representative, please visit the website for full information or use contact information below:



Click here for hours of operation.

No inquiries will be accepted by fax or letter mail.

Our Locations
The map below shows where we provide consular services.


The Interview Waiver Program (IWP) allows qualifying visa applicants to mail-in their visa applications without an appointment.  

You will be informed of whether you qualify for IW when you fill out your application. Please see application instructions and criteria on the U.S. Travel Docs website. 

For applicants who meet all IWP criteria, please prepare the application package with the following:  

  • Applicant’s original passport with at least six months validity remaining;  
  • Applicant’s previous passport that holds the valid or expired U.S. visa;   
  • Two photos (2 in x 2 in/5 cm X 5 cm) on a white background (read more for information on photo requirements );  
  • Applicant’s I-20, DS-2019, or approved I-797 forms for applicable F, M, J, and temporary work visa applicants;  
  • If applicant is under 14 years of age, a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate, a copy of the parent’(s’) passport(s) bio details page, and a copy of parent’(s’) valid visa(s); 
  • Please, don’t send any additional documents than those requested to avoid delays on your application;  
  • If you don’t qualify for the IWP, please schedule an appointment;  
  • Applicants qualifying for the IWP still have to qualify for a visa. The visa unit might still require an interview for some applicants that qualified for the IWP. 

Colorado Sand Dunes