Passport Renewals for Minors
Minors under age 16 wishing to renew an expiring or expired passport should follow the process below.
If you are filing a Consular Report of a Birth Abroad, you may submit the passport application package with the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) application package together as instructed in the CRBA page.
All regular American Citizen Services (ACS) are by appointment only.
Prepare the DS-11 form, prepare documents and fees mentioned below, make an appointment online and submit the entire application package in person at the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy on the day of your appointment.
- Completed and un-signed form DS-11. (You may fill out the form online, print a hard copy and bring it to your appointment. Do not sign the form – you will be asked to sign the form during your appointment.)
- Child’s most recent U.S. passport (also bring 1 photocopy)
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship for child: This can include a U.S. Birth certificate, a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, or a U.S. Certificate of Naturalization. (also bring 2 photocopy)
- Child’s social security number
- Passport photo for child: Two 2×2 passport photos for the application. Click here for more information on photo basics.
- Original Government issued photo I.D. of both parents (such as passports, driving license, national ID, or voter ID). Also bring 1 photocopy of the ID.
- Age progression photographs for child.( (i.e., a series of family photographs from various ages since the child’s last passport was issued–for example, if the child is now five years old and the passport was issued shortly after his/her birth, bring family photos showing the child at ages 1, 2, 3 and 4)
- If applicable, signed and notarized statement of consent (DS-3053) or completed Statement of Exigent/Special Circumstance (DS-5525). All passport forms are available here.
- Name Change Documentation (only if applicable): If the name you currently use is different from that on your citizenship or identity documents, you will need to show evidence of your official name change.
- Passport Fee: Check the passport fee here. Fees must be paid in cash and are payable either in U.S. dollars or in equivalent Bangladeshi taka at the Consular Section on the day of the appointment.
Special Circumstances for Minors Under 16
Children under 16, at the time of application, must appear in person, and both parents need to be present and provide unequivocal consent to passport issuance by signing the application in front of the consular officer. In the event that one parent is unavoidably unable to be present at the time of the interview, that parent must submit a signed and notarized statement of consent (DS-3053) in order for the child to be issued a U.S. passport. The consent must be in the English language and can be notarized by any American notary or at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad.
In the event that only one parent can provide consent for the passport application, the applying parent must complete the form (DS-5525): Statement of Exigent/Special Circumstances. The applying parent should also be prepared to supply any applicable legal or custody documents that support the explanation of circumstances.
All passport forms are available here.
- You should bring legible photocopies of all the supporting documents with you.
- Your application will not be accepted without your most recent U.S. passport. Please submit your most recent U.S. passport along with your application, it will be cancelled and returned by mail along with your new passport. Valid visas in the submitted passport will not be cancelled.
- The Embassy provides neither expedited services nor overnight delivery. If you have a travel plan within this time, please plan accordingly before your application submission.
- Print the form, but please do not use two-sided printing.
- When completing the “Mailing address” section on our forms, list an address in Bangladesh.
- When completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms, please list an emergency contact in the United States.
- Wearing eyeglasses in passport photos is not allowed.
- During the processing period, a Consular Officer may also request additional documents in support of your application.
Passport Delivery or Pick Up
- When your new passport is ready for pick up, you will receive a notification email from the Embassy.
- Upon receiving this email, if you have not submitted your old U.S. passport along with your passport renewal application then immediately submit your old U.S. passport to the Saimon Global Ltd. office for cancelation. Once the Embassy cancels your old passport, you may collect the canceled old passport and the new passport within 1-2 days from the Saimon Global Ltd. office. Don’t forget to bring your receipt with you.
- As always, you have the option of allowing an authorized person to pick up your passport on your behalf. The authorized person must bring a government issued ID and will need to complete the authorization form (available at Saimon Global Ltd. and on the Embassy’s website).
- Please see below courier fees for picking up your passport:
- Saimon Global Ltd., Dhaka: BDT 345 (15% VAT is included)
- Saimon Global Ltd., Chittagong: BDT 575 (15% VAT is included)
- Saimon Global Ltd., Sylhet: BDT 575 (15% VAT is included)
All passports must be picked up from Saimon Global Ltd.
House 4A, Road 22, (Ground Floor)
Phone: +88 09606 556657
Ayub Trade Center (5th Floor)
1269/B Shekh Mujib Road
Phone: +88 09606 556657
1/A Ananda Tower (Ground Floor)
Jail Road, Sylhet-3100
Phone: +88 09606 556657