Passport Renewal FAQ

If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years. If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

The issuance date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

You should renew your passport early if you are running out of blank pages. During peak season travel periods or before holidays, we encourage to schedule an appointment for the passport renewal service as soon as possible. Depending on your own schedule, you should allow enough time to process without disrupting your upcoming travel plans.

You should complete the Mailing address field with your Local address only; do NOT use a U.S. address if you are applying in Bangladesh.

Yes, your old US passport will be returned unless it is deemed to be damaged by the United States Department of State. The passport will clearly indicate that it is invalid and it is important that you advise whether any valid visas remain in the passport before applying for it to be renewed.

Passports must have enough blank pages to accommodate entry and exit immigration stamps for each country of travel. At least one visa page in your passport is required for each visa. Most travel visas that are stamped into your passport require an entire blank visa page. A ‘blank’ visa page must be clean, clear, and not show ink or stains from any other pages in the passport. Some countries insist on two blank pages.

All services provided by the American Citizen Services unit are by appointment only. To submit your passport renewal application you must have an appointment scheduled online. Please schedule an appointment online via the appointment calendar available at Dhaka ACS Appointment Calendar. You should select ‘Passport services’.

No. You can only submit original copies of these forms.  You can find instructions for completing and printing these forms from our website. You must complete and submit the form online and then print a copy to bring to your appointment.

The passport application forms are available on our website.

Once you submit all the required form, documents and fees and face the interview, with no requested documents to bring back from the adjudicator. In that case, it should take two weeks from the appointment day to delivery of your new passport.

Only cash form will be accepted, either US (dollars) or Bangladeshi (Taka).

No, a new number is issued each time your passport is renewed.

Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E) requires you to provide your Social Security Number (SSN), if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport.

If you have not been issued a SSN, enter zeros in box #5 of the passport application form you are completing. The U.S. Department of State must provide your SSN and foreign residence information to the Department of Treasury. If you fail to provide the information, you are subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS. All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.

If you just received the passport and have not traveled, contact us immediately.  If you have already traveled, submit the following to the Embassy, by scheduling an online appointment under ‘Passport services’:
The passport to be replaced;
A completed DS-5504, U.S. Passport Re-Application form;
One new photograph; and Evidence to document the correct information, such as a certified birth certificate, previous U.S. passport, certified marriage certificate, or naturalization/citizenship certificate.

In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child’s name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent’s name, write the word (mother) or (father) so the State Department would know who signed for the child.

Effective February 1, 2008, 22 C.F.R. 51.1 requires that U.S. passport applications for children under the age of 16 require either parents’ or legal guardians’ consent. Read more on our website.

See Lost/Stolen Passport information page.

Please allow approximately two to three weeks for receipt of email notification for your passport’s arrival. Contact us by e-mail. We will respond to routine passport questions within 24 working hours.

If all the slots for the time you want are already taken, you will need to choose another time or another day. We do not overbook appointments to prevent you and others from having to wait a lot longer for service.

Please obtain one photograph per these State Department’s Passport Photo Requirements. Your photo must have a white, light or neutral off white background. We recommend you use a professional photo studio to meet all the requirements. Do not staple the photo to your application.

Failure to submit the correct photographs will result in significant processing delays.

The U.S. passport documents the citizenship status of the bearer and by law is proof of U.S. citizenship. Every American abroad should have valid proof of her or his citizenship at all times.

Life is unpredictable. In the event of an emergency involving a family member abroad, a short-notice airfare bargain, or an unexpected business trip, already having a valid U.S. passport will save time, money and stress.


Please note that if the information you require is available from our website or can be answered by the FAQs, while we will address your inquiry, you will experience a delay in our response.

If your enquiry remains unanswered please visit our website pages again or contact us by e-mail.