What is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or CRBA?
A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship. It is issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). In simple words, applying for a CRBA is the way a U.S. citizen can transmit his/her citizenship to a child born abroad.
CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. We also encourage you to apply for your child’s U.S. passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA.
To see if your child may qualify for U.S. citizenship at birth see Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship at Birth by a Child Born Abroad and Birth of U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizen Nationals Abroad.
For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please send an email to DhakaACS@state.gov and ask about Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship.
The CRBA application process:
- Make sure you are eligible to apply for a CRBA online, under Eligibility Requirements for online CRBA application. If you are not eligible to apply for a CRBA online email us at DhakaACS@state.gov for further information.
- Prepare all the forms, supporting documents, and fees mentioned in the list under Application Requirements.
- Apply for a CRBA online as directed under How to apply online.
- Attend the CRBA appointment. Bring all required documents.
- Once the CRBA application is approved the CRBA will be delivered through our designated courier mentioned under Courier Information.
Eligibility Requirements for online CRBA application:
To apply, your child must have been born in Bangladesh and one or both parent must travel to U.S. Embassy in Dhaka with the child for the in-person interview.
To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.
- Was the child born in Bangladesh?
- Is the child under the age of 18?
- Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
- Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
- Are you a biological parent of the child born abroad for whom you are applying for?
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029). Email us at DhakaACS@state.gov for further assistance.
How to apply online
You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at U.S. Embassy in Dhaka. This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.
Note: Applicants must have a Login.gov account to access eCRBA services on the MyTravelGov portal. Instructions for creating a Login.gov account are available at MyTravel.state.gov. If you already have an eCRBA application in progress, use the same email address previously used to access the MyTravelGov website to create an account. This ensures a streamlined linkage between your existing profile and the new authentication system.
- To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov or sign-in to your existing account. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal that you can use to start an eCRBA application or access an existing eCRBA application. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn more about creating your account.
- Once you sign in or create a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application.
- Review the required documents for the CRBA application using the checklist below under Application Requirements.
- Complete the online application and submit payment. Wait 72 hours after payment and email us at DhakaACS@state.gov to schedule an appointment. This provides time for your payment to be processed prior to your CRBA interview.
- Attend your in-person interview appointment with your child, original documents and their photocopies (single-sided in A4 size paper). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the interview appointment. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.
Parents typically choose to apply for the child’s U.S. passport at the same time they apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad. The list below covers both the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and the U.S. passport application.
- From U.S. citizen parent: Proof of U.S. citizenship. This can include a U.S. birth certificate, a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, or a U.S. Certificate of Naturalization. You should bring the original or a clear, photocopy of your document with a U.S. notary seal to the CRBA interview.
- From U.S. citizen parent: U.S. passport/s and previous Bangladeshi passport: Bring the Originals or U.S. Notarized copies of all pages (even if they are blank) of all passports (U.S. and Bangladeshi).
- From Non-U.S. citizen parent: Government issued valid photo ID (such as passport, driving license, national ID, or voter ID, etc.).
- From mother: Prenatal documents and hospital records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, etc.).
- From both parents: Original marriage documents. For Muslims: Original Nikah Nama (Bangla and English) and Marriage Certificate.
- From both parents: Original or U.S. notarized divorce documents of parents (if applicable).
- From both parents: Proof of relationship: Wedding and family photos.
- Progression photos for the child since birth to – present
- For child: Original registered birth certificate in English issued by Bangladesh City Corporation/Union Parishad.
- For child: Two 2×2 passport photos for the application. Click here for more information on photo basics.
- Fee: The CRBA fee is 100 U.S. dollars. If you are applying for a CRBA online, you can make the payment online.
- Completed and un-signed form DS-11: You must fill out the form online, print a hard copy and bring it to your appointment. Do not sign the form – you will be asked to sign the form during your appointment. All passport forms are available here.)
- Completed Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Only submit this form if one parent is unable to appear for the interview. This form must be completed, signed, and notarized by a U.S. notary public. All passport forms are available here.
- Completed DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special family circumstances. (Only submit if one parent cannot or is unwilling to provide consent). All passport forms are available here.
- For child: Two 2”×2” passport photos for the application. Click here for more information on photo basics.
- Fee: Passport fee for a minor is 135 U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Bangladeshi taka. You must pay this fee in cash and in one type of currency at the U.S. Embassy on the day of the appointment.
- Fill out all forms correctly. Incorrectly filled out forms will not be accepted. If you submit incorrectly filled out forms your application may be delayed or denied.
- The child must be accompanied by one or both parents on the day of the appointment.
- Bring all originals and photocopies (single sided in A4 size papers). Please do not use two-sided printing.
- Make sure there is no black spot on the forehead of child in their passport photo.
- When completing the “Mailing address” section on our passport forms, please list an address in Bangladesh.
- When completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our passport forms, please list an emergency contact in the United States.
- During the processing period, a Consular Officer may also request additional documents in support of your application.
CRBA and Passport Delivery or Pick Up
- When the CRBA and passport are ready for pick up, you will receive a notification email from the U.S. Embassy.
- Upon receiving this email, you may collect the documents from the Saimon Global Ltd. Don’t forget to bring your fee receipt and ID with you.
- As always, you have the option of allowing an authorized person to pick up your passport on your behalf. The authorized person must bring a government issued ID and will need to complete the authorization form.
- Please see below courier fees for picking up your documents:
- Saimon Global Ltd., Dhaka: BDT 345 (15% VAT is included)
- Saimon Global Ltd., Chittagong: BDT 575 (15% VAT is included)
- Saimon Global Ltd., Sylhet: BDT 575 (15% VAT is included)
House 4A, Road 22, (Ground Floor)
Phone: +88 09606 556657
Ayub Trade Center (5th Floor)
1269/B Shekh Mujib Road
Phone: +88 09606 556657
1/A Ananda Tower (Ground Floor)
Jail Road, Sylhet-3100
Phone: +88 09606 556657
We are here to help!