Applying for your Child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Most, but not all, children born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) are eligible to receive U.S. citizenship.  Effective March 01, 2017, U.S. citizens will be able to submit their CRBA applications by mail.

Please see below for steps on how to apply for your child’s CRBA.

Please use the CRBA checklist (PDF 464 KB) to ensure you have all the required documents prepared for the CRBA application.

  1. A completed DS-2029: The application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad for a Citizen of the United States of America.  The U.S. Embassy requires applicants to complete page 2 of the CRBA application (DS-2029) accurately.  The parent transmitting U.S. citizenship to his or her child should list the exact dates of physical presence in the United States.  These dates should correspond with the arrival and departure stamps to and from the United States in the parent’s passport.  Any travel outside the United States, including vacations and short visits abroad, should be listed on the form.  If this section of the application is missing or incomplete, it will delay processing.
  2. A completed DS-11 (PDF 104 KB): The application for a U.S. Passport (We strongly encourage you to apply for your child’s U.S. passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA.)
  3. A completed DS-3053: The Parental Consent Form (Only submit this form if one parent  is absent during the submission of the application)
  4. A completed DS-5525: The Statement of Exigent/Special family circumstances (Only submit if one parent cannot or is unwilling to provide consent)
  5. One color 2×2 passport photo of the child is required.  Click here for more information.
  6. Evidence of Physical Presence in the United States.
    a.  In the event the child has one U.S. citizen parent and one foreign national parent, proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence (i.e. the number of days the U.S. citizen parent was demonstrably IN the United States) is required. In such cases, the U.S. citizen parent will need to show five years of CUMULATIVE physical presence in the U.S., two of which must have been after the age of 14.  Examples of items that show physical presence are entry/exit stamps in current and previous passports, school transcripts, income tax returns with Form W-2, social security earnings history, pay stubs, etc.
    b.  If the U.S. citizen parent cannot clearly demonstrate the required 5 years of physical presence then the application cannot be approved and any associated passport application will be denied. In such cases, applicants are not eligible for a refund.  Applicants are strongly urged to review their own history of physical presence in the United States before applying.
    c.  Evidence of physical presence is not required if BOTH parents are U.S. citizens.  However, evidence of residence of one parent is required.

Parents who were not married at the time of the child’s birth:

  • If the parents were not legally married at the time of the child’s birth, the transmitting U.S. citizen parent, must complete Section B of Page 3 of Form DS – 2029 (PDF 64 KB). This section must be notarized in the U.S. or at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and she must then submit the form with evidence of twelve months of continual physical presence in the United States.

For more information about the application process for a CRBA, please visit the State Department’s website.

Documentary Requirements

  • Submit all required documents per the checklist (PDF 464 KB) through the courier service.  You should submit original and legible photocopies of all your supporting documents to the courier. If you submit all your required documents, you will minimize or eliminate the need for repeat visits for documentary purposes.  In addition, if your application package is complete we will contact you to schedule an interview for your child’s CRBA application. If any documentation is missing, applicants will have 90 days to submit the missing documents by mail or in person.  If documentation is not received within 90 days, the case will be closed and the application denied.
  • Please remember to visit our updated list of courier(s) here.


  • Fee payment:  When applying by mail, please make the payment at any bank in Bangladesh.  Don’t forget to take a copy payment instructions (PDF 336 KB) with you when visiting the bank.

    The Embassy does not provide expedited services or overnight delivery.
  • When applying by mail, send us your application through a courier service of your choice. Visit our updated list of courier(s) here.  Please note that we are not responsible for the documents and fees submitted to any couriers.  Although you can submit your application through any courier, all passports must be picked up through Saimon Overseas.The courier fee for submitting your completed application package at one of Saimon Overseas Ltd.’s offices is BDT 575 (15% VAT is included).

What to Expect When You Visit the Embassy:

  • An ACS staff member will contact you by email to schedule your appointment.
  • Plan on arriving 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow time for security checks at the Embassy entrance.
  • When you arrive, let the guards know you have an appointment with the American Citizen Services Unit. You will be asked to show valid and current photo ID.
  • You will then be asked to pass through a metal detector. Cameras, mobile phones, smart watches, laptops and all other small electronic devices, with features such as Bluetooth, WI-FI, audio and video recording, or global positioning system (GPS) are not allowed inside the embassy. Make arrangements to leave these items at home or with a friend or relative.  Luggage is also not allowed.
  • Once you enter the compound, you will be directed to the Consular Section. Inside the Consular Section, you will find the American Citizen Services Unit’s waiting room at the very end of the main waiting area. Our staff will be expecting you at one of the ACS windows.

Additional Notes:

  • The parents must appear in person with their child, and they must have a scheduled appointment.  The parents may also apply for the child’s passport when submitting a Consular Report of Birth Abroad application.
  • The CRBA can only be prepared at the U.S. Embassy. It cannot be prepared if the child is not present in Bangladesh, or, if the person is 18 years of age or older at the time of the application.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent does not meet the transmission requirements and the child is less than 18 years old, the child may be eligible for expeditious naturalization under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.