Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh (April 14, 2018)
Location: Dhaka, and potentially other cities in Bangladesh
Event: Bangla New Year (Pohela Baishakh) is an all-day event observed on April 14. This celebration is especially popular in the Ramna, Dhaka University, and Suhrawardy Uddayan areas of Dhaka. Vehicular and pedestrian traffic patterns are likely to be impacted, resulting in additional traffic congestion.
U.S. citizens are reminded to exercise vigilance when they are in the vicinity of large gatherings, as criminals may use such events to perpetrate petty crimes and other offenses.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local news.
- Expect heavier than normal traffic congestion throughout the day.
- Avoid large crowds.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings.
- S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter