Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Dhaka (January 8, 2020)
Event: Heightened Middle East Tensions
There is heightened tension in the Middle East that may result in security risks to U.S. citizens abroad.
Out of an abundance of caution, U.S. Embassy personnel are instructed to remain aware of their surroundings, avoid protests or demonstrations, and monitor local media outlets.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs website, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information can be found. The U.S. embassy also encourages U.S. citizens to review the “Traveler’s Checklist,” which includes valuable security information for those living and traveling abroad.
Contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, located at Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka, Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday. Weekends and After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (88) (02) 5566-2000 and press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department, Consular Affairs – (888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter