Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh (December 31, 2018)
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Event: Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) have issued special instructions for New Year’s Eve celebrations including, but not limited to, prohibiting meetings, gatherings or celebrations on rooftops, roads, flyovers or public spaces, as well as banning the use of fireworks. We strongly advise all U.S. citizens to adhere to these instructions.
We encourage you to remain aware of your surroundings, especially during a holiday season directly following national elections.
Embassy Operations: Routine services for U.S. citizens are limited at this time.
Actions to Take:
• Monitor local news for updates.
• Expect road blockades, especially within Dhaka.
• Avoid large crowds.
• Remain aware of your surroundings.
• Exercise additional caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
• U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
• State Department, Consular Affairs – (888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444
• Bangladesh Country Information
• Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
• Follow us on Facebook and Twitter