Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh (October 4, 2020)
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Note: The U.S. Embassy remains open for business.
Event: The U.S. Embassy is aware of a gathering of about 10,000 people in Karwan Bazar outside of the Pan Pacific Shonargaon Hotel which houses the Saudi Arabian Airlines office. A crowd has also gathered at the Biman Bangladesh Airlines Office in Motijheel. We anticipate the groups will continue to gather for an undetermined period of time demanding return flights to Saudi Arabia. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid these areas.
Security Guidance Reminder for all U.S. citizens: Practice sound personal security measures by remaining alert, being aware of your surroundings, and avoiding large gatherings. Avoid protests, demonstrations, and/or rallies. Always carry your cell phones with you.
- You can contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, located on Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka, Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday except for holidays. On holidays, during weekends, or after-hours for emergencies U.S. citizens can call (88) (02) 5566-2000 and press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.