Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh (April 3, 2019)
Location: Bangladesh, countrywide
Event: In light of calls for revenge in the wake of the March 15 terrorist attack against two mosques in New Zealand, we encourage U.S. citizens to exercise heightened awareness of the ongoing threat posed by transnational terrorist organizations such as ISIS and al-Qa’ida.
Terrorist groups, their associates, and those inspired by such organizations remain intent on attacking U.S. and Western citizens around the world, including in Bangladesh. Extremists may use conventional or non-conventional weapons to strike U.S. interests, but many are increasingly using less sophisticated methods of attack to more effectively target crowds, including the use of edged weapons, pistols, and vehicles. Extremists are spreading propaganda online and calling for assaults on “soft” targets such as Western schools, businesses, and NGOs.
Embassy Operations: Embassy operations are normal.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh
(88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
(888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444