Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh (January 30, 2020)
Location: Dhaka Metropolitan Area
Event: The Dhaka North City Corporation and Dhaka South City Corporation Mayoral elections are scheduled for Saturday, February 1, 2020. The Election Commission has imposed the following vehicle movement restrictions. These will impact vehicular and pedestrian traffic patterns citywide and within the Diplomatic Enclave.
Dates: January 30-February 2
Time: 12:00am – 06:00am
Movement Ban: No motorcycles will be permitted in election areas. Pedestrian movement is allowed.
Date: February 1
Time: ALL DAY, 24 hours
Movement Ban: Restaurant, entertainment, and shopping facilities will be closed. Only pedestrian movement will be allowed, even within the diplomatic enclave.
Dates: February 1-February 2
Movement Ban: Auto rickshaws, taxicabs, microbuses (vans), jeeps (SUVs), pickups, cars, buses, trucks, and other passenger vehicles will not be allowed to move in the election areas. Pedestrian movement will be allowed.
Exceptions/exemptions will be extended only to credentialed vehicles registered with the Bangladesh Election Commission.
Diplomatic plated vehicles are also subject to vehicle movement restrictions.
Embassy Operations: Embassy operations will be as normal.
Actions to Take:
- Review your scheduled travel during this timeframe and consider factoring in additional transit time.
- Exercise additional caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- U.S. citizens are encouraged to exercise increased vigilance. Please be aware of surroundings, review personal security plans, monitor local media for updates, and keep mobile phones charged and accessible in case of emergency.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department, Consular Affairs – (888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter