(March 27, 2021)
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Event: Due to recent clashes between protestors and police the group Hefazat-e-Islam has called for a country-wide protest, or hartal, on Sunday, March 28, from sunrise (6 a.m.) until sunset (6 p.m.). In Dhaka, police are expected to close multiple streets in the Diplomatic Enclave and may prevent vehicular traffic from entering. Further protests and road closures may happen in other areas. All travel by U.S. Embassy personnel outside of the Diplomatic Enclave will be limited to essential activities, and Embassy personnel will restrict their movements to within the Diplomatic Enclave during this time. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid large gatherings as even peaceful protests may turn violent. It is recommended to follow us on Facebook and other social media as connectivity permits.
- You can contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, located on Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka, Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday except for holidays. On holidays, during weekends, or after-hours for emergencies U.S. citizens can call (88) (02) 5566-2000 and press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.