Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh (December 22, 2020).
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Event: During the holiday season, please exercise increased vigilance. Be aware of your surroundings, review your household emergency plans, monitor local media for updates, and keep your mobile phones charged and accessible always. The Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) will implement additional security measures in select locations from Christmas Eve (December 24) through January 3. The public should expect:
- Churches, other houses of worship, shopping centers, and transportation hubs to have an increased police presence due to the notable symbolism of Christmas and New Year’s as high-profile Western holidays.
- Vehicle access to the Diplomatic Enclave (Baridhara, Gulshan, and Banani) to be more heavily scrutinized, particularly on New Year’s Eve (December 31) after 8:00 p.m.
- Local police roadblocks outside of and leading to the Diplomatic Enclave. We recommend returning to the Enclave by 8:00 p.m. to avoid traffic.
- Prohibition of outdoor celebrations/parties on building rooftops.
- Prohibition of fireworks as well as providing alcoholic beverages to Bangladeshis.
- Police to prohibit renting hotel rooms to host any New Year’s Eve festivities.
- To continue to follow Government of Bangladesh COVID-19 mitigation measures.
Security Guidance Reminder for all U.S. citizens: Year-round personal security habits include, but are not limited to:
- Avoiding large crowds/demonstrations.
- Awareness of your surroundings, taking a mental note of locations that provide a safe retreat.
- Reporting to the police any vehicles or persons possibly involved in suspicious activity.
- In traffic, leaving space to maneuver if needed or to take an alternate route.
- If your schedule allowed, varying routes and times to and from home.
- Carrying your phone, ID, and emergency contact information with you.
- Only offering your personal information such as family member and/or household staff names, addresses, or telephone numbers to known persons.
- Only accepting trusted deliveries or grant known or expected individuals’ access to your residence.
- Fostering good personal security practices among your family members.
- Avoiding unknown persons who could compromise your security. Report any incident to the police and contact the Embassy’s American Citizen Services Unit, as appropriate.
- Buddy-up: We recommend that you not walk alone after dark or are accompanied by at least one other person if venturing far from your residence.
- Review and adhere to the guidance found in the current Travel Advisory located on the U.S. Embassy Dhaka web site.
- You can contact the S. Embassyin Dhaka, Bangladesh, located on Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka, Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday except for holidays. On holidays, during weekends, or after-hours for emergencies U.S. citizens can call (88) (02) 5566-2000 and press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter