Location: Bangladesh, countrywide.
Event: Durga Puja, the 5-day Hindu festival, will be held from October 22-26. Thousands of participants will gather at Hindu temples throughout the country in celebration.
Security Guidance Reminder for all U.S. citizens: In addition to continuing to take sound COVID-related health precautions, practice sound personal security measures by remaining alert, being aware of your surroundings, and avoiding large gatherings. Avoid protests, demonstrations, and/or rallies. Especially during this time of increased activity, we remind you to employ good personal security practices:
- Avoid large crowds/demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings, taking a mental note of locations that provide a safe retreat.
- Report to the police any vehicles or persons possibly involved in suspicious activity.
- In traffic, try to leave space to maneuver if needed or take an alternate route.
- If your schedule allows, vary routes and times to and from home.
- Carry your phone, ID, and emergency contact information with you.
- Only offer your personal information such as family member and/or household staff names, addresses, or telephone numbers to known persons.
- Only accept trusted deliveries and grant known or expected individuals access to your residence.
- Foster good personal security practices among your family members.
- Do not engage with unknown persons who could compromise your security. Report any incident to the police and contact the Embassy’s American Citizen Services Unit, as appropriate.
- Review and adhere to the guidance found in the current Travel Advisory located on the U.S. Embassy Dhaka web site.
- You can contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, located on Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka, Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday except for holidays. On holidays, during weekends, or after-hours for emergencies U.S. citizens can call (88) (02) 5566-2000 and press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter