Holiday Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh (December 26, 2019)
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Event: Holiday Security Message
The Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) has announced it may implement the following precautionary measures on New Year’s Eve:
- Access to Baridhara and Gulshan Enclaves (Baridhara, Gulshan 1, 2, and Banani) will be more scrutinized on December 31, 2019, especially after 8:00 p.m. When traveling outside of the Baridhara and Gulshan enclave areas, local police are advising residents to exercise more caution as roadblocks will be utilized.
- Outdoor celebrations are prohibited including on building rooftops.
- Fireworks are not permitted.
- Gatherings are not permitted at Dhaka University, and access to the campus will be restricted after 6:00 p.m.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to exercise increased vigilance during the holiday season. Please be aware of surroundings, review personal security plan, monitor local media for updates, and keep mobile phones accessible in case of emergency.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter