(December 12, 2021)
Event: Holiday Security Alert
During the holiday season, U.S. citizens should practice sound personal security procedures. Please be aware of your surroundings, review or establish a personal security plan, monitor local media for updates, and keep your mobile phones charged and accessible in case of an emergency.
As a precautionary measure, the Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) will implement additional security measures in select locations from Christmas Eve (December 24) through January 3. U.S. citizens should expect:
- Churches, houses of worship, shopping centers, and transportation hubs will have an increased police presence due to the notable symbolism of Christmas and New Year’s Eve as high-profile Western holidays.
- Vehicle access to the Diplomatic Enclave (Baridhara, Gulshan, and Banani) will be more heavily scrutinized, particularly on New Year’s Eve (December 31) after 8:00 p.m.
- Local police may set up roadblocks outside of and leading to the Diplomatic Enclave to maintain order and manage traffic. U.S. citizens should plan accordingly.
- Outdoor celebrations and parties are generally prohibited on building rooftops.
- Local law prohibits the sale and/or use of alcoholic beverages to Bangladeshis.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh
- +880 2 5566-2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter