April 4, 2020
Note: The U.S. Embassy remains open for business.
Event: The Bangladesh Ministry of Health confirmed 61 cases of COVID-19 in the country.
The Government of Bangladesh has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. The Government of Bangladesh announced a general holiday period from March 29 to April 11. Bangladeshi government offices and private sector organizations will largely remain closed until April 9 and the government has advised everyone to stay home during this period. Hospitals, pharmacies, and food stores remain open. Public transportation and banking services remain limited. The Bangladesh army has been deployed to enforce social distancing measures.
Until April 7, all scheduled international commercial passenger flights from Bahrain, Bhutan, Hong Kong, India, Kuwait, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Thailand, Turkey, and United Arab Emirates (UAE) shall not be allowed to land at any international airport in Bangladesh.
The U.S. Embassy has arranged a special chartered flight for U.S. citizens and their families wishing to return to the United States which will depart on April 5. Registration for this flight has ended and it is unclear whether the Embassy will be able to secure future chartered flights. U.S. citizens wishing to return to the United States should continue monitoring commercial flight schedules once commercial flights resume.
We will share news of any travel options as they become available. Please enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Embassy Bangladesh updates: https://step.state.gov/.
Please consult the Embassy’s website (https://bd.usembassy.gov/) for additional information on the situation in Bangladesh and the Department of State’s COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
Further Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bangladesh.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter