Health/Travel Alert – U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh (May 17, 2021)
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Event: Countrywide Lockdown Extended through May 23
The Government of Bangladesh announced a continuation of the countrywide lockdown from May 17 through May 23 to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus. For additional lockdown information please read the full Government of Bangladesh (GoB) circular at https://cabinet.gov.bd/. The circular is available under the “Notice Board.” Per the circular:
- All government, semi-government, and non-government offices will be closed.
- Emergency services, to include vehicles and personnel, will be available. Furthermore, the GoB designated tax and revenue collection as part of these services.
- Domestic and international flights will operate. For updated information on flights, please consult the latest Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) circulars.
- Residents should remain in their homes except for emergencies or for essential needs, such as shopping for food and medicine.
- Factories and emergency service providers will remain operational.
- Grocery stores, pharmacies, and banks will be open. Shopping malls will also be open and must adhere to COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
- Restaurants (including hotel restaurants) and food shops will be open for takeaway/delivery.
- Social, political, and religious gatherings are not allowed.
- The GoB is monitoring the lockdown through police patrolling and mobile magistrate courts to ensure businesses are adhering to COVID-19 health guidelines, and police have authority to fine violators.
The U.S. Embassy reminds all U.S. citizens to practice sound personal security measures which include following GoB laws and local government ordinances and to always carry a fully charged work or personal cell phone.
In the event of an immediate need for U.S. citizen services or an emergency, please email DhakaACS@state.gov to request an emergency appointment.
To receive U.S. Embassy Bangladesh updates, please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): https://step.state.gov/.
Please consult the U.S. Embassy’s website (https://bd.usembassy.gov/) for additional information on the situation in Bangladesh and the Department of State’s COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
You can contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, located at Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday except for holidays. On holidays or weekends the after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (88) (02) 5566-2000; after dialing press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
Further Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bangladesh.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.