Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Event: Countrywide Lockdown Extended through May 16
The Government of Bangladesh announced a continuation of the countrywide lockdown from May 5 through May 16 to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus. For additional lockdown information please read the full Government of Bangladesh (GoB) circular at https://cabinet.gov.bd/. The circular is available under the “Notice Board.” Per the circular:
1. All government, semi-government, and non-government offices will be closed.
2. Most modes of transport (road, sea, rail) will be closed or limited. For the latest information on domestic and international flights, please consult the latest Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) circulars. Public bus transportation will only operate within cities and will abide by health and social distancing guidelines. This order is not applicable in the case of transportation of commodities, production, and emergency.
3. Residents should remain in their homes except for emergencies or for essential needs, such as shopping for food and medicine.
4. Factories and emergency service providers will remain operational.
5. Stores and shopping malls will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and will abide by health and social distancing guidelines.
6. Restaurants (including hotel restaurants) and food shops will be open for takeaway/delivery.
7. Social, political, and religious gatherings are not allowed.
8. The GoB is monitoring the lockdown through police patrolling and mobile magistrate courts to ensure businesses are adhering to COVID-19 health guidelines.
The U.S. Embassy reminds all U.S. citizens to practice sound personal security measures which include following GoB laws and local government ordinances and to always carry a fully charged work or personal cell phone.
The U.S. Embassy will remain closed for routine U.S. citizen services and for all visa services for the duration of the lockdown. All U.S. citizen services appointments already scheduled until May 16 will be rescheduled. In the event of an immediate need for service or an emergency, please email DhakaACS@state.gov to request an emergency appointment. The Embassy will reopen U.S. citizen services appointments after the lockdown is lifted.
To receive U.S. Embassy Bangladesh updates, please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): https://step.state.gov/.
Please consult the U.S. Embassy’s website (https://bd.usembassy.gov/) for additional information on the situation in Bangladesh and the Department of State’s COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
You can contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, located at Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday except for holidays. On holidays or weekends the after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (88) (02) 5566-2000; after dialing press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
Further Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bangladesh.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter