Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Event: Extension of COVID-19 Lockdown Restrictions
The nationwide COVID-19 lockdown restrictions that began July 1 will remain in place through July 14. For additional lockdown information please read the full GoB circular at https://cabinet.gov.bd/. The circular is available under the “Notice Board.” Per the circular:
- All GoB government, semi-government, and non-government offices will be closed.
- All public transportation (including passenger rail, road, and waterway services) has been suspended and motorized vehicles will not be allowed to operate. Trucks, covered vans, and cargo vessels carrying goods are exempted. Law enforcement agencies will conduct regular patrols to ensure compliance.
- Law enforcement and emergency services, to include drivers and employees of these services, can move with identification issued by their respective offices. These services include healthcare, COVID-19 vaccinations (candidates must have immunization cards), pharmacies and pharmaceuticals, banks and revenue collection, public and private utilities, food transportation, relief distribution, private security services, postal services, agricultural produce and inputs, food/grain, and print/electronic mass media.
- Domestic flights are suspended, but medevac, humanitarian relief, and cargo flights are exempt.
- International flights will operate, and travelers must carry proof of air tickets when traveling to/from the airport by car. Travelers should also contact their respective airlines to confirm flights or for other inquiries. For updated information on flights, please consult the latest Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) circulars.
- Except for absolute necessities, such as food, medicine, medical treatment, and funeral services, movement outside of residences will not be allowed, and violators will face legal action.
- Grocery stores and pharmacies will be open during limited hours, depending on the individual establishment, and must abide by COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
- Kitchen markets and commodity sellers may buy and sell in open spaces from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and must abide by COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
- Shopping malls, gyms, sports complexes, and recreation and entertainment centers will remain closed.
- All tourist locations, resorts, and community centers will remain closed.
- Social, political, and religious gatherings will not be allowed.
- Industrial factories may remain open and must abide by COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
- The GoB will enforce COVID-19 health guidelines and restrictions, and the Armed Forces Division will deploy the required number of personnel to ensure effective patrolling at the field level. District magistrates will confirm matters in consultation with local army commanders.
- The Bangladesh Supreme Court will issue necessary directives regarding court operations.
- To ensure banking services, the Bangladesh Bank will issue necessary directives to banks.
- The Ministry of Religious Affairs will provide directives for prayer at mosques.
- The Director General of the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) will allow the district administrations and police forces to take legal action on his behalf.
The U.S. Embassy reminds all U.S. citizens to practice sound personal security measures which include following GoB laws and local government ordinances and to always carry a fully charged work or personal cell phone.
In the event of an immediate need for U.S. citizen services or an emergency, please email DhakaACS@state.gov to request an emergency appointment.
To receive U.S. Embassy Bangladesh updates, please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): https://step.state.gov/.
Please consult the U.S. Embassy’s website (https://bd.usembassy.gov/) for additional information on the situation in Bangladesh and the Department of State’s COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
You can contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, located at Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday except for holidays. On holidays or weekends the after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (88) (02) 5566-2000; after dialing press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
Further Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bangladesh.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter