Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Event: New COVID-19 Restrictions for Current Lockdown
The Government of Bangladesh (GoB) tightened the current nationwide COVID-19 lockdown restrictions effective 6 a.m. June 28 through 6 a.m. July 1. For additional lockdown information please read the full GoB circular at https://cabinet.gov.bd/. The circular is available under the “Notice Board.” Per the circular:
- Emergency services will be available.
- The GoB is monitoring the lockdown and new restrictions, and the police have the authority to fine violators.
- All GoB government, semi-government, and non-government offices, as well as banks and financial institutions, will only have service essential personnel and must abide by COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
- All modes of public transport including inter-district transportation will be suspended, but rickshaws and commodities transportation are exempt. Law enforcement will run patrols to ensure compliance.
- International and domestic flights will operate. For updated information on flights, please consult the latest Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) circulars.
- Hotels, restaurants, and food shops may operate from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and will be limited to online delivery and takeaway with no in-person dining.
- Grocery stores and pharmacies will be open during limited hours, depending on the individual establishment, and must abide by COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
- Shopping malls, gyms, sports complexes, and recreation and entertainment centers will be closed.
- All tourist locations, resorts, and community centers will be closed.
- Social, political, and religious gatherings are not allowed.
The U.S. Embassy reminds all U.S. citizens to practice sound personal security measures which include following GoB laws and local government ordinances and to always carry a fully charged work or personal cell phone.
In the event of an immediate need for U.S. citizen services or an emergency, please email DhakaACS@state.gov to request an emergency appointment.
To receive U.S. Embassy Bangladesh updates, please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): https://step.state.gov/.
Please consult the U.S. Embassy’s website (https://bd.usembassy.gov/) for additional information on the situation in Bangladesh and the Department of State’s COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
You can contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, located at Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday except for holidays. On holidays or weekends the after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (88) (02) 5566-2000; after dialing press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
Further Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bangladesh.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter