Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 100,000 reported cases worldwide.
On March 15, the Bangladesh Ministry of Health announced an additional three confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Bangladesh, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in Bangladesh to eight.
On March 16, the Bangladesh Ministry of Foreign Affairs released a Travel Notice regarding the potential for COVID-19 in Bangladesh.
- From March 16 to 31, foreign nationals on flights originating from Europe, except for the United Kingdom, will not be allowed to enter Bangladesh.
- Issuance of on-arrival visas for Bangladesh will remain suspended for two weeks between March 15 to 29 for incoming passengers of all countries.
- Passengers arriving in Bangladesh from other coronavirus-affected countries will be placed under self-quarantine for two weeks after arrival. This will continue until further notice.
- Foreign nationals with valid visas staying in Bangladesh now will have the option of extending their existing visas for up to three months.
U.S. Embassy Dhaka’s Consular Section will continue providing essential services to U.S. citizens. Passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) appointments can be made on line as usual, but for notarial services related to a U.S. citizen matter, please email email@example.com to schedule an appointment. Effective March 19, nonimmigrant and immigrant visa interviews scheduled through April 12 are cancelled. Emergency visa interviews will be provided on a case-by-case basis.
U.S. Embassy Dhaka employees have been instructed to follow the CDC’s guidelines for protective measures regarding COVID – 19, including when Embassy staff go to restaurants.
The U.S. Embassy has restricted official travel for its personnel; personal travel remains an individual decision.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bangladesh.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
Baridhara, Dhaka 1212
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter