Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers (Fulbright DAI) 2020
Application deadline extended until Wednesday, June 10, 2020
The U.S. Embassy in Dhaka is pleased to accept applications for the Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers (Fulbright DAI), which brings international primary and secondary teachers to the United States for a semester-long professional development program at a U.S. host university to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, and increase their knowledge about the United States. The Fulbright DAI program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and implemented by IREX, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit organization. The program will take place January – May 2021.
The Fulbright DAI program will include coursework and intensive training in teaching methodologies, lesson planning, and teaching strategies for the participants’ home environment, as well as the use of computers for internet, word processing, and as teaching tools. The semester-long program will also include a two-month internship at a secondary school to actively engage participants with U.S. teachers and students. Trips to U.S. cultural sites and academic support will be provided for participants throughout the program.
Financial provisions and non-monetary support for this fellowship include J-1 visa support, a pre-departure orientation held in Dhaka, round-trip airfare to and within the United Sates, a Welcome Orientation in Washington, D.C., academic program fees, housing (generally shared with other program fellows), meals, accident and health insurance, transportation to the internship school (if necessary), a book/professional development allowance, a closing seminar hosted by one of the host universities in the United States, and the opportunity to apply for follow-on grants.
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for the program:
- Be a full-time primary and/or secondary educator with five or more years of classroom experience in disciplines including Social Studies, Civics Education, Mathematics, English as a Foreign Language, and Science;
- Education guidance counselors and/or special education coordinators who spend most of their regular time interacting with students are also welcome to apply;
- Have five years of full-time teaching experience or experience working with students in another capacity;
- Demonstrate a proven track record of professional development activities and leadership;
- Be a citizen of Bangladesh and have no dual citizenship;
- Be proficient in spoken and written English. The Fulbright DAI program requires English language skills sufficient to function independently in the United States and the ability to express ideas clearly and effectively in university or graduate level courses and professional settings;
- Have general computer skills, including word processing, basic file management, internet browsing, and familiarity with Microsoft Office;
- Submit a complete application which includes:
- A completed application form (do not include the instruction pages);
- A current CV;
- A completed institutional support and reference form (ISRF), completed by a supervisor;
- A completed leave application form (LAF);
- A photocopy of the applicant’s passport (biodata pages only);
- One passport size photo; and
- Copies of academic records (mark sheets or transcripts only).
Short-listed candidates will be required to sit for a TOEFL or IELTS test, as strong English skills are a requirement for the program. A score of 6.5 or higher on the paper based IELTS, or an equivalent English language examination score is required to participate in the Fulbright DAI program. Candidates with valid scores will not be required to test again. The U.S. Embassy will arrange all testing as required.
Applications that do not meet the eligibility requirements listed above will not be forwarded to the selection committee. Short-listed candidates will be called for an interview. This program is a worldwide competition; all applicants will go through a rigorous screening process. Finalists will be notified the end of September 2020.
A copy of this announcement and the application forms are available at: https://bd.usembassy.gov/education-culture/programs-for-professionals/
Applicants can submit an electronic completed application package and supporting documents by email to Ms. Tahnia Shahid at ShahidTX@state.gov; or, applicants can submit a physical completed application package and supporting documents to the attention of Ms. Tahnia Shahid, Public Affairs Section, at the security gate on United Nations Road near the entrance to the Embassy of Nepal. All electronic and physical completed application packages and supporting documents are due no later than Wednesday, June 10, 2020. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
For additional information about this program, please contact Program Manger Ms. Tahnia Shahid (Phone:(02) 5566-2000 e-mail address: ShahidTX@state.gov).