Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy (Dhaka, Bangladesh) (September 27, 2018)
Location: Dhaka, other major cities across Bangladesh.
Event: Local media sources are reporting that both the Awami League (AL) and the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) are planning to hold rallies on Saturday, September 29, 2018.
According to media reports, the AL rally will be held in Mahangar Nattya Mancha while the BNP rally will be held in Suhrawardy Uddayan. These locations have not yet been confirmed.
Expect significant traffic congestion due to blockages along major roadways. We encourage U.S. citizens to remain vigilant, as demonstrations could continue over the next several days.
Previous demonstrations in Bangladesh have turned violent, resulting in traffic disruptions, injuries, and deaths. Participants are known to throw rocks and debris. Security forces are known to use tear gas and other crowd control measures against demonstrators, including firearms with rubber bullets.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local news.
- Expect heavier than normal traffic congestion throughout the day.
- Avoid large crowds and protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department, Consular Affairs – (888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter