Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy (Dhaka, Bangladesh) (October 29, 2018)
Location: Dhaka, other major cities across Bangladesh.
Event: Local media sources report the potential for demonstrations throughout Dhaka and other major cities across Bangladesh in reaction to the October 29 sentencing of former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia.
Expect significant travel delays. We encourage you to remain vigilant, as demonstrations could continue for the next several days.
Previous protests in Bangladesh have turned violent, resulting in traffic disruptions, injuries, and deaths. Participants are known to throw rocks and debris. Security forces are known to use tear gas and other crowd control measures against demonstrators, including firearms with rubber bullets.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local news.
- Expect heavier than normal traffic congestion throughout the day.
- Avoid large crowds and protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh– (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department, Consular Affairs – (888) 407-4747or (202) 501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter