Event: According to local sources, several demonstrations will be occurring in the afternoon on Friday, June 10, 2022. These demonstrations are reportedly in reaction to the recent public remarks made by BJP officials in India. The U.S. Embassy in Dhaka encourages U.S. citizens to exercise caution as even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Embassy personnel posted in Dhaka have been told to avoid areas around the Bashtola Mosque, the Indian High Commission, and Jamuna Future Park in Vatara.
A protest may or may not affect local transportation services, schools, shopping malls, and infrastructure. Extra caution and vigilance should be taken to avoid large crowds and protests.
Security Guidance Reminder for all U.S. citizens: In addition to COVID-related health precautions, we remind you to avoid demonstrations and practice sound personal security procedures. Good personal security habits include but are not limited to:
- Avoid large crowds/demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- In traffic, try to leave space to maneuver if needed or take an alternate route.
- Carry your phone, ID, and emergency contact information with you.
- Only offer your personal information such as family member and/or household staff names, addresses, or telephone numbers to known persons.
- Foster good personal security practices among your family members.
- Review and adhere to the guidance found in the current Travel Advisory located on the U.S. Embassy Dhaka web site.
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh
- + (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- (888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter