Location: Dhaka, other major cities across Bangladesh.
Event: The next general election in Bangladesh is anticipated to occur before or during January 2024, and political party rallies and other election-related activities have already commenced. Political rallies and demonstrations may be held with increasing frequency or intensity as the general election draws nearer. Two of Bangladesh’s largest political parties have announced rallies in different areas of Dhaka for December 10, 2022.
U.S. citizens should practice vigilance and remember that demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid demonstrations and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings. Review personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large crowds or protests
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Monitor local news
- Remain vigilant
- Always carry your charged mobile phone for emergency communications
- U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department – Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter