Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy (Dhaka, Bangladesh) (November 14, 2018)
Location: Naya Paltan, potentially other areas in Dhaka and other major cities.
Event: Local media sources report ongoing demonstrations in Naya Paltan, Old Dhaka. Alleged live video feeds show protestors vandalizing vehicles and brandishing wooden staffs and similar items.
Avoid large crowds and protests. We encourage you to remain vigilant, as demonstrations could continue throughout the pre- and post-election period.
Previous protests in Bangladesh have turned violent, resulting in traffic disruptions, injuries, and deaths. Participants are known to throw rocks and debris. Security forces are known to use tear gas and other crowd control measures against demonstrators, including firearms with rubber bullets.
Embassy Operations: Operations are normal.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local news.
- Expect heavier than normal traffic congestion throughout the day.
- Avoid large crowds and protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh– (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department, Consular Affairs – (888) 407-4747or (202) 501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter