Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy (Dhaka, Bangladesh) (October 10, 2018)
Location: Dhaka, other major cities across Bangladesh.
Event: Local media sources report the potential for demonstrations in Dhaka and other major cities across Bangladesh in response to today’s court ruling regarding the 2004 grenade attacks in Dhaka.
Previous protests in Bangladesh have turned violent, resulting in traffic disruptions, injuries, and deaths. Participants are known to throw rocks and debris. Security forces are known to use tear gas and other crowd control measures against demonstrators, including firearms with rubber bullets.
Embassy Operations: Embassy operations are normal.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local news.
- Expect heavier than normal traffic congestion throughout the day.
- Avoid large crowds and protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh – (88) 02 5566 2000
- State Department, Consular Affairs – (888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444
- Bangladesh Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter