An official website of the United States government

Citizenship Services

Citizenship and Nationality

U.S. Citizens Born Abroad

Children (applicants) born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) may have a claim to U.S. citizenship.  The following information will assist in determining if a child has a claim, and the requirements to register them as a U.S. citizen born abroad:

Applicants under the age of 18 should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

Applicants over the age of 18 should submit a Derivative Claim to Citizenship (Apply for Citizenship) by scheduling and online appointment.  The details are listed below.

Please refer the Department of State’s information for U.S. citizens who have used (or who are considering to use) Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) abroad. For citizenship purposes, ART includes in-vitro fertilization, surrogacy arrangements and the use of egg and sperm donors.  If ART was used to conceive your child and you are unsure as to how to precede with an application, please contact the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit of the Embassy by scheduling an online appointment.

Other Paths to U.S. Citizenship

If an American citizen does not meet the requirements to transmit their citizenship to a foreign-born child and have a CRBA issued, there may be another path to citizenship for the child.  The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship automatically.

Please note that the acquisition of U.S. citizenship via the Child Citizenship Act is adjudicated and administered by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) and accordingly, we are unable to answer specific questions about the program. The USCIS does not have an office in Dhaka; however, their office at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi, India might provide further guidance.

Dual Nationality

The U.S. Government recognizes the existence of dual nationality and permits U.S. citizens to have other nationalities; however they also recognize the problems which it may cause, and therefore does not encourage it as a matter of policy.  Please carefully review the Department of State’s information regarding Dual Nationality.

All dual nationals traveling to the United States are required to enter and depart the United States using their U.S. passport.

Apply for Citizenship

Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship

Applicants over the age of 18, born outside the United States to one or both United States citizen parent(s), may have a derivative claim to U.S. citizenship.  Applicants under the age of 18 should refer to the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) information.
If your parent(s) had previously registered you as a United States citizen after your birth, one of the following documents would have been issued to you, and is evidence of your U.S. Citizenship.

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (Form FS-240);
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form FS-545 or DS-1350);
  • Certificate of Citizenship;
  • Your name had been included on your U.S. citizen parent’s passport before 1981.

If you believe one of the first three may have been issued to you, but are unable to locate it, you must obtain a certified copy from the Department of State or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (UCSIS) before you can apply for a U.S. Passport.

Completing the application

Please type or print legibly in black ink.  Print out and submit only one-sided pages of the application, and bring all required supporting documents in original format.

To be presented in person at the Consulate:

In order to determine whether or not the U.S. citizen parent(s) is/are able to transmit citizenship, please refer to the transmission requirements (PDF 100 KB). If the transmission requirements have been met, please submit the following in person at the Embassy with scheduling an online appointment:

  • Completed (but not signed) passport application (Form DS-11);
  • Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support (PDF 172 KB), completed by the U.S. citizen parent;
  • Applicant’s Birth Certificate;
  • Citizen Parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. Citizenship (U.S. passport or naturalization certificate);
  • Parents’ registered marriage certificate (if applicable);
  • Evidence of termination of parents previous marriage(s) (if applicable);
  • Citizen Parent’s documentary evidence of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth. Such evidence may include (but is not limited to) academic transcripts, employment records, periods of honorable U.S. military service records, or Wage and tax statements (W-2)’s;
  • Applicants evidence of identity;
  • One (1) 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size with white or light colored background photograph.
  • If applicable — Original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable);
  • Applicable Fee (PDF 104 KB)(All fees are subject to change without notice) Fees must be paid in cash, and are payable either in United States Dollars or in equivalent Bangladeshi Taka.
Once you have completed all appropriate application forms and gathered all required supporting documentation, send us an email at DhakaACS@state.gov for further processing.

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship

Loss of Nationality

There are two kinds of Loss of Nationality cases: renunciation and relinquishment. U.S. citizens considering renouncing or relinquishing their U.S. nationality should carefully review and understand the consequences and ramifications of doing so.

Once loss of U.S. nationality occurs, expatriates will no longer receive U.S. consular support abroad and will be subject to current visa requirements for future travel to the United States. Additionally, the act of renouncing or relinquishing U.S. citizenship will not allow persons to avoid repayment of financial obligations previously incurred in the United States or incurred as United States citizens abroad, i.e. U.S. taxes.

Under 8 U.S.C. 1182, “any alien who is a former citizen of the United States who officially renounces United States citizenship and who is determined by the Attorney General to have renounced United States citizenship for the purpose of avoiding taxation” is inadmissible to the United States, that is ineligible for entry to the United States.

The U.S. Internal Revenue Service provides tax forms and instructions for expatriates’ filing purposes.

Determination of renunciation or relinquishment by U.S. citizen

U.S. citizens who, after carefully reviewing the aforementioned website links, decide to give up U.S. nationality are required to have two mandatory interviews with a U.S. Consular Officer.  During the initial interview, individuals should provide:

  • Original evidence of U.S. nationality (e.g. U.S. Naturalization Certificate, Consular Report of Birth of an American Citizen Abroad, or the most recently issued U.S. passport regardless of the passport’s expiration date);
  • Original evidence of foreign nationality (e.g. foreign passport, certificate of naturalization of the foreign state, foreign birth certificate)

The Consular Officer will provide information and relevant forms to citizens and discuss the ramifications and consequences of giving up U.S. nationality.  U.S. citizenship documents will be retained until approval or denial of loss of nationality is received from the U.S. Department of State. Foreign citizenship documents will be returned after the initial interview.

A time to reflect is afforded to all citizens after the first interview.  This time allows citizens to carefully review and ponder the information provided during the interview and decide whether to continue pursuing loss of nationality.  A second interview with a Consular Officer must be attended by all who choose to continue the renunciation process.

At the second interview, the Consular Officer will administer the oaths and witness citizens’ signatures to the pertinent forms.

Final determination of Loss of Nationality

Following the second interview, cases are forwarded to the U.S. Department of State for review and approval which may take several months.  Only after the Department of State approves loss of nationality is a case considered complete.  Upon receipt of the U.S. Department of State’s determination, the U.S. Consulate General will mail the determination, together with the evidence of U.S. nationality to the address provided by the expatriate.

Note: In cases where loss of U.S. nationality is approved, U.S. citizenship documentation will be canceled or annotated to reflect loss of U.S. nationality before being returned to expatriates. Certificates of U.S. Naturalization will not be returned, but forwarded to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service.


U.S. citizens who have carefully reviewed and understand the information provided above, send us an email at DhakaACS@state.gov for scheduling appointment.


The current fee for renouncing/relinquishing U.S. nationality is payable during the final interview.