The Community College Initiative Program 2021-22
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, January 11, 2021, 4:30pm BDT
The American Center at the U.S. Embassy Dhaka is pleased to announce the call for applications for the Community College Initiative (CCI) Program for academic year 2021-22. The CCI Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. This in a non-degree program; students will earn credits for two semesters upon completion of the program.
The CCI Program provides participants from Bangladesh and other selected countries opportunities to study at community colleges in the United States to build mutual understanding through a non-degree program of academic, vocational, and cultural studies. It is an intensive program intended to provide student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States, while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. Since 2007, nearly 2,150 students from 15 countries have received scholarships for study at community colleges throughout the United States. Since 2013, nearly 55 Bangladeshi students have participated in the program.
Students who have completed their higher secondary education and have enrolled in the university will spend one academic year in the United States enrolled full-time at an American community college. The 2021-22 program provides academic instruction at community colleges throughout the U.S. in the fields of applied engineering, agriculture, business management and administration, early childhood education, information technology, media, public safety, and tourism and hospitality management.
Although participants may earn an academic certificate in their field of study and gain first-hand practical experience through internships in their field of study, this is not a degree program. Student will earn full credits for two semesters.
In addition to receiving academic course work, participants will have opportunities to develop leadership skills, build English language proficiency, and learn about American society and culture, including community service and social responsibility. After completing the program, participants will return to their home countries with new skills to help them contribute to the economic growth and development of their countries.
Successful applicants will have a proven record of a high level of motivation to succeed in the program, exemplary academic achievement, will have completed their HSC or A-levels, and will be enrolled in a course of undergraduate study.
To be eligible to apply for the CCI program, interested candidates must:
- Be Bangladeshi citizens and not dual citizens or permanent residents of the United States or any other country;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Have a passport that is valid until February 2023;
- Have completed their HSC degree / A-levels or be currently enrolled as first year university students;
- Be able to receive a U.S. J-1 visa and meet the program conditions to maintain that status;
- Be proficient in written and spoken English language, and able to obtain a minimum iBT TOEFL score of 65-71 or an IELTS score of 6.0. If you already have a TOEFL or IELTS score, please submit it with your application. Please note that having an English test score in advance of the application is an advantage for the selection procedure, but not a requirement.
- Have at least a B+ average, without any failing grades;
- Be willing and able to accurately represent Bangladeshi culture in American institutions and communities;
- Be committed to returning to Bangladesh upon completion of the program and satisfying the J-visa two-year residency requirement;
- Have demonstrated leadership skills;
- Have limited or no prior study or travel experience in the United States
- Be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel;
- Be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country;
- Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful and inquisitive; and
- Be able to begin the academic exchange program in the United States in July 2021.
A medical examination is also required for participation in the program for shortlisted candidates.
Please review this announcement carefully to ensure that you meet all eligibility requirements.
The recruitment process will include the following steps:
Step 1: Initial applications due on or before January 11, 2021, 4:30pm BDT
Please submit your complete application on or before Thursday January 11, 2021 by e-mail to ShahidTX@state.gov, or submit a hard copy by courier service to the Embassy.
Step 2: Interviews
Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews in early February 2021. Selected candidates are required to complete medical tests and a test of English language proficiency such as TOEFL or IELTS by February 20, 2021. The American Center will cover the costs of the English language test for shortlisted candidates for the nomination.
General Application Instructions
- Read the announcement carefully.
- Please answer ALL questions on the application in English (except where specified). If a question does not apply to you, enter N/A (not applicable).
- Include your full legal name or family name (surname) exactly as spelled on your international passport.
- Include complete contact information, including dialing codes for all addresses and city/country codes for all phone numbers. Please include your own cell numbers and do not use your relatives or friends cell numbers.
- Please send computer typed application via email.
- Enclose your SSC and HSC mark sheets / O-level and A-level transcripts /grade sheets/ university transcripts (latest one); certificates are not needed.
- Please include the topic and numbers of the essays at the top of pages (there are total 8 topics). Please type neatly on separate sheets of extra papers. Please do not exceed the word limit given in the application form.
- Enclose at least one recommendation letter from one of your teachers.
- Enclose a photocopy of the information page of your passport. Do not send other pages. Please note that we will not be able to register you for an English language test if you do not have a passport.
- Submit your application by the deadline. Note – completed original application must bear your signature on the last page.
The application form and announcement are available at: https://bd.usembassy.gov/education-culture/student-exchange-programs/
The deadline for submission of completed applications to the embassy is Thursday January 11, 2021, 4:30pm. Late applications will not be accepted.
The American Center is currently closed to the public due to COVID-19. Please send your application via e-mail or via courier service.
Attn: Tahnia Shahid (Public Affairs Section)
U.S. Embassy Dhaka
(Please note the Embassy work week is Sunday to Thursday. Fridays and Saturdays are weekends.)
For further information, please contact Ms. Tahnia Shahid at the American Center at
ShahidTX@state.gov or by telephone at (02) 5566-2000.