APPLY FOR THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE INITIATIVE PROGRAM
The Community College Initiative (CCI) Program is a non-degree-earning program that builds participants’ technical skills in applied fields, enhances leadership capabilities, and strengthens English language proficiency, and provides opportunities for professional internships and community service and engagement activities through immersion in day-to-day life in the United States.
Application Deadline: Thursday, January 7, 2021, 4:30 pm BDT
DHAKA, December 7, 2020 – U.S Embassy Dhaka is pleased to announce the application period for the Community College Initiative (CCI) Program 2021-2022 is now open. Bangladeshi undergraduate students from the first year through third year may apply to spend one academic year in the United States enrolled full-time at an American community college. Since 2013, nearly 55 Bangladeshi students have participated in the program.
The 2021-22 program provides academic instruction at community colleges throughout the United States in the fields of applied engineering, agriculture, business management and administration, early childhood education, information technology, media, public safety, and tourism and hospitality management. The deadline for applying for the program is Thursday, January 7, 2021, 4:30 pm BDT.
The program’s purpose is to provide promising students with a deeper understanding of American culture while enhancing leadership skills and English language proficiency. In addition to coursework, participants are also expected to become active members of their local communities by participating in extracurricular activities and volunteer projects. After completing the program, participants will return to their home countries with new skills to help them contribute to the economic growth and development of their countries.
Although the program is non-degree-earning, students will earn full credits for two semesters and gain first-hand practical experience through internships in their field of study. Depending on the field of study and school attended, participants may also earn an academic certificate in their field of study.
To be eligible to apply for the CCI Program, interested candidates must meet the criteria outlined below and in the program announcement on the Embassy’s website:
- Be Bangladeshi citizens and not dual citizens or permanent residents of the United States or any other country;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Have a passport that is valid until February 2023;
- Have completed their HSC degree / A-levels or be currently enrolled as first year university students;
- Be proficient in written and spoken English language, and able to obtain a minimum iBT TOEFL score of 65-71 or an IELTS score of 6.0. If you already have a TOEFL or IELTS score, please submit it with your application. Please note that having an English test score in advance of the application is an advantage for the selection procedure.
- Have at least a B+ average, without any failing grades;
- Be committed to returning to Bangladesh upon completion of the program and satisfying the J-visa two-year residency requirement;
- Have demonstrated leadership skills;
- Have limited or no prior study or travel experience in the United States
- Be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel;
- Be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country;
- Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful and inquisitive; and
- Be able to begin the academic exchange program in the United States in July 2021.
Detailed application instructions are available at: https://bd.usembassy.gov/ccip-24573/
For more information about the CCI Program, visit: https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/program/community-college-initiative-program.