The Community College Initiative Program 2019-20
The American Center at the U.S. Embassy Dhaka is pleased to announce the Community College Initiative (CCI) Program for academic year 2019-20. The CCI Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). This in a non-degree program but students will earn credits for two semesters upon completion of the program.
CCI provides participants from Bangladesh and other selected countries with opportunities to study at community colleges in the United States to build mutual understanding through a non-degree program of academic, vocational, and cultural studies. It is an intensive program intended to provide student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States, while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. Since 2007, nearly 2,150 students from 15 countries have received scholarships for study at community colleges throughout the United States.
Students who have completed their higher secondary education will spend one academic year in the United States enrolled full-time at an American community college. The 2019-2020 program provides academic instruction at community colleges throughout the U.S. in the fields of applied engineering, agriculture, business management and administration, early childhood education, information technology, media, public safety, and tourism and hospitality management.
Although participants may earn an academic certificate in their field of study and gain first-hand practical experience through internships in their field of study, this is not a degree program. Student will earn full credits for two semesters.
In addition to receiving professional training, participants develop leadership skills, build English language proficiency, and learn about American society and culture, including community service and social responsibility. After completing the program, participants will return to their home countries with new skills to help them contribute to the economic growth and development of their countries.
Participants are expected to be highly motivated and exemplary students who have completed their HSC or A-levels.
To be eligible to apply for the CCI program, interested candidates must:
- Be Bangladeshi citizens and not dual citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or any other country;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Have passport valid until February 2021
- Have completed their HSC degree / A-levels or be currently enrolled as first year university students;
- Be able to receive a U.S. J-1 visa and meet the program conditions to maintain that status;
- Be proficient in written and spoken English language, and able to obtain a minimum iBT TOEFL score of 65-71 or an IELTS score of 6.0. If you already have a TOEFL or IELTS score, please submit it with your application. Please note that having advance English test score is an advantage for the selection procedure.
- Have at least a B+ average, without any failing grades;
- Be willing and able to accurately represent Bangladeshi culture in American institutions and communities;
- Be committed to returning to Bangladesh upon completion of the program and satisfying the J-visa two-year residency requirement;
- Have demonstrated leadership skills;
- Have limited or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
- Be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel;
- Be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country;
- Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful and inquisitive; and
- Be able to begin the academic exchange program in the U.S. in July 2019.
A medical examination is also required for participation in the program. Please carefully review the application for all eligibility requirements.
The recruitment process will include the following steps:
Step 1: Initial applications due on or before
Please submit your complete application on or before Thursday December 13, 2018 by e-mail to ShahidTX@state.gov , or submit a hard copy either in person or by courier service to the American Center.
Step 2: Interviews
Short-listed candidates will be called for interviews by the end of December 2017. Selected candidates are required to complete medical tests and a test of English language proficiency such as TOEFL or IELTS by January 20, 2019. The English language test will be sponsored by the American Center for the shortlisted candidates.
General Application Instructions
- Submit a completed original application with your signature on the last page. Please submit only pages 5-11, as there is no need to include application instruction pages 1-4 and 16-23 ( these pages are only for your reading);
- Please answer ALL questions on the application in English (except where specified). DO NOT leave a space blank. If a question does not apply to you, enter N/A (not applicable);
- Include your full legal name or family name (surname) exactly as spelled on your international passport;
- Include complete contact information, including dialing codes for all addresses and city/country codes for all phone numbers; Please include your own cell numbers, please do not use your relatives or friends cell numbers.
- All hand- written applications must be neatly printed;
- Enclose your SSC and HSC / O-level and A-level transcripts / grade sheets;
- Enclose at least one recommendation letter from your teachers;
- A passport size photo
- Enclose a photocopy of your passport; only the information page. Please note that we will not be able to register you for an English language test if you do not have a passport; and
- Submit your application by the deadline.
The application form and announcement are available at:
The deadline for submission of completed applications to the American Center is Thursday December 13, 2018. Please note that late applications will not be accepted.
The address of the American Center is as follows:
American Center, U.S. Embassy Annex J Block, Progati Sharoni, Baridhara, Dhaka-1212 (Opposite the U.S. Embassy and next to Notun Bazar) Please note that the Embassy work week is Sunday to Thursday. Fridays and Saturdays are weekends. For further information, please contact Ms. Tahnia Shahid at the American Center at ShahidTX@state.gov or by telephone at (02) 5566-2808.