Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers
(Fulbright DAI) 2020
The American Center at the U.S. Embassy Dhaka is pleased to announce the Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers (Fulbright DAI), brings international primary and secondary teachers to the United States for a semester-long professional development program at a U.S. host university and to observe and share their expertise with U.S. colleagues. The program will take place in January – May 2020.
The Fulbright DAI program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and implemented by IREX, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit organization. The program will provide primary and secondary school teachers with unique opportunities to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, and increase their knowledge about the United States.
Participants from Bangladesh and across the world will travel to the United States in January 2019 and stay until May 2019. The program will include coursework and intensive training in teaching methodologies, lesson planning, and teaching strategies for the participants’ home environment, as well as the use of computers for Internet, word processing, and as teaching tools. The semester-long program will also include a two-month internship at a secondary school to actively engage participants with American teachers and students. Trips to U.S. cultural sites and academic support will be provided for participants throughout the program.
Financial provisions of this fellowship include J-1 visa support, a pre-departure orientation held
in Dhaka, round-trip airfare to and within the United Sates, a Welcome Orientation in Washington, D.C., academic program fees, housing (generally shared with other program fellows) and meals, accident and health insurance, transportation to the internship school (if necessary), a book/professional development allowance, a closing seminar hosted by one of the host universities in the United States and the opportunity to apply for follow-on grants.
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for the program:
Be full-time primary and secondary educators with five or more years of classroom experience in disciplines including Social Studies, Civics Education, Mathematics, English as a Foreign Language and Science;
- Be education guidance counselors, and special education coordinators who spend most of their regular time interacting with students are also welcome to apply;
- Have five years of full-time teaching experience or working with students in another capacity;
- Demonstrate a proven track record of professional development activities and leadership;
- Be a citizen of Bangladesh and have no dual citizenship;
- Be proficient in spoken and written English. The program requires English language skills sufficient to function independently in the U.S and the ability to express ideas clearly and effectively in university, graduate level course and professional settings;
- Have general computer skills, including word processing, basic file management, internet browsing, and familiarity with Microsoft Office;· Have submitted a complete application, which includes:
- A completed application form (please do not include the instruction pages);
- A current CV;
- A completed institutional support and reference form (ISRF), completed by a supervisor;
- A complete leave application form (LAF);
- A photocopy of the applicant’s passport (information pages only);
- One passport size photo; and
- Copies of academic records (mark sheets or transcripts only).
Short-listed candidates will be required to sit for a TOEFL or IELTS test, as strong English skills are a requirement for the program. A score of 6.5 or higher on the paper based IELTS, or an equivalent English language examination score is required to participate in the Fulbright DAI program. Candidates with valid scores will not be required to test again. The American Center will arrange all testing as required.
Applicants must follow all application instructions and submission guidelines. Short-listed candidates will be called for an interview, and applications that do not meet the eligibility requirements listed above will not be forwarded to the selection committee.
A copy of this announcement and the application forms are available at:
Please send your completed applications to the attention of Ms. Tahnia Shahid at the American Center, U.S. Embassy Annex, J Block, Progoti Sharoni, Baridhara, Dhaka-1212, no later than Thursday March 7, 2019.
Please note that the closing date for applications is final. Candidates may apply, with the understanding that this is a worldwide competition and all applicants will go through a rigorous screening process. Finalists will be notified at the end of September 2019.
For additional information about this program, please contact Program Manger Ms. Tahnia Shahid (Phone: 5566-2808; e-mail address: ShahidTX@state.gov).