The U.S. Embassy is pleased to announce a call for applications for the Summer 2023 Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI) for Global Student Leaders on Climate Change and the Environment. This five-week, U.S. State Department-funded undergraduate exchange program will take place at the University of Nevada in Reno, beginning in late June 2023. SUSI for Student Leaders are intensive short-term academic programs that provide undergraduate student leaders a deeper understanding of U.S. culture and enhance their leadership skills.
The program includes a four-week academic residency component and a one-week integrated study tour to a different region of the United States. During the academic residency, participants will participate in educational and cultural activities outside of the classroom. The residency will consist of a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures. The coursework and classroom activities will be complemented by educational travel, site visits, leadership activities, and volunteer opportunities within the local community.
The U.S. Embassy places emphasis on recruiting participants from historically underrepresented and underserved communities including indigenous groups, people with disabilities, and ethnic minorities.
Candidates nominated for this program must:
- be a citizen of Bangladesh and have a Bangladeshi passport;
- have a strong interest in climate related issues;
- be fluent in English;
- be between 18 and 25 years of age;
- be in their first through third year of undergraduate study at the time of application;
- be committed to returning to their home universities following completion of the SUSI program;
- demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;
- indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States;
- have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and teacher recommendations;
- have demonstrated commitment to community and extracurricular university activities;
- have had little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
- be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to adjust to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country.
Application forms must either be typed or completed in legible and clear handwriting. Please note that each application must include a letter of recommendation from either a department head or faculty dean, and a passport size photograph.
The deadline for submission of completed applications to the American Center is Monday, December 26, 2022, at 4:30 p.m.
The American Center
U.S. Embassy Annex
J Block, Progati Sharoni,
(Opposite the U.S. Embassy and next to Notun Bazar)
Please note that the Embassy’s workweek is Sunday to Thursday. Fridays and Saturdays are weekends.
Soft copies of the application form can be found at: SUSI Student Application form 2023
For further information, please contact Mushfiq Hassan at the American Center (Telephone: (880) 2-5566-2831; email: HassanMX@state.gov.