Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh (December 10, 2018)
Location: Bangladesh, countrywide
Event: Formal campaigns for the Bangladesh national election begin Monday, December 10 with voting scheduled to take place on Sunday, December 30. Expect political rallies and demonstrations throughout this election period.
Historically, elections in Bangladesh have been marked by unrest. We urge you to avoid large crowds, carry valid identification, keep a charged mobile phone on you and remain aware of your surroundings at all times.
Previous protests in Bangladesh have turned violent, resulting in traffic disruptions, injuries, and deaths. Participants are known to throw rocks and debris. Security forces are known to use tear gas and other crowd control measures against demonstrators, including firearms with rubber bullets.
Embassy Operations: Routine services for U.S. citizens may be limited at this time.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local news, email and SMS for updates.
- Expect heavier than normal traffic congestion throughout the day.
- Avoid large crowds and protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.